Healthgrades Names Beebe Medical Center One of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Overall Orthopedic, Joint Replacement, and Spine SurgeryPosted: October 31, 2012
Only Hospital in the Delmarva Peninsula* to Receive Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence AwardTM for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
Beebe Medical Center is one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Overall Orthopedics, Joint Replacement, Spine Surgery and Coronary Interventions, according to a new report from Healthgrades, the leading provider of information to help consumers make an informed decision about a physician or hospital. The findings are part of American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, which evaluates the performance of approximately 4,500 hospitals nationwide across nearly 30 of the most common conditions and procedures. The 2013 performance outcomes are now available free to the public at www.healthgrades.com.
Beebe Medical Center was also found to be the Best in Delmarva for:
• Total Knee Replacement for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Total Hip Replacement for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Back & Neck Surgery (except Spinal Fusion) for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Back & Neck Surgery (Spinal Fusion) for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Overall Orthopedic Services for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Joint Replacement for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Spine Surgery for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Cardiology Services in 2013
• Coronary Interventional Procedures for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
Patient outcomes are important to consumers making choices today about hospitals. According to new research conducted by Harris Interactive for Healthgrades, 86% of Americans in 27 top designated market areas agree they would be more likely to choose—or not choose—a hospital if they could learn ahead of time the mortality rates for a certain procedure.
Beebe Medical Center was also recognized for several clinical achievements, including the following:
America’s Best 100 Hospitals
• One of HealthGrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Coronary Intervention™ for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• One of HealthGrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• One of HealthGrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement™ for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• One of HealthGrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Ranked in the Top 5% in the Nation for Coronary Interventional Procedures for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Ranked in the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for 4 Years in a Row (2010-2013)
• Ranked in the Top 5% in the Nation for Joint Replacement for 4 Years in a Row (2010-2013)
• Ranked in the Top 5% in the Nation for Spine Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2011-2013)
• Ranked in the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services for 3 Years in a Row (2011-2013)
• Ranked #1 in DE for Vascular Surgery in 2013
• Ranked in the Top 5% in the Nation for Women’s Health for 2 Years in a Row (2011-2012)
“These Healthgrades rankings, based on patient outcomes that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid has collected, are a credit to everyone at Beebe Medical Center,” said Jeffrey M. Fried, President and CEO of Beebe Medical Center. “They reflect the quality and complexity of the vast medical services we offer, and at the same time underline the commitment to our patients by our Board members, our physicians, our clinical staff, and all of our employees.
“Healthgrades has recognized the efforts of so many in the Beebe Medical Center organization to continuously improve processes that have made our clinical outcomes among the best in the nation.”
For its 2013 hospital quality outcomes analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 40 million Medicare hospitalization records for services performed from 2009 through 2011 at approximately 4,500 short-term, acute care hospitals nationwide. Healthgrades independently measures hospitals based on data that hospitals submit to the federal government. No hospital can opt in or out of being measured, and no hospital pays to be measured. Mortality and complication rates are risk adjusted, which takes into account each hospital’s unique population (demographics and severity of illness).
The American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, including the complete methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality.
About Beebe Medical Center
Beebe Medical Center is a community-owned, not-for-profit hospital with 210 licensed beds. The Medical Center has been recognized for the quality of the healthcare it provides, and over the years has received several quality awards and designations. It offers progressive and comprehensive medical care that includes: an open-heart surgery program; cardiac and vascular interventional services; a multidisciplinary cancer treatment and surgical program; an orthopaedic program; a gastroenterology/bariatric program; a women’s health program, and emergency medical services.
Earlier this year, HealthGrades named Beebe Medical Center a Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence™. This prestigious distinction placed Beebe Medical Center among the top 5% of hospitals nationwide for clinical performance for the 3rd consecutive year. Becker’s Hospital Review in the 2012 September/October issue recognizes Beebe Medical Center as among the 100 Great Community Hospitals in the nation.
Beebe Medical Center is accredited by the Joint Commission, which also has certified it as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center. The American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery has designated Beebe Medical Center as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. The American College of Radiology (ACR) has designated Beebe Medical Center a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence. The American Institute of Minimally Invasive Surgery (AIMIS) has named Beebe Medical Center a Center of Excellence in Women’s Health. The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association presented Beebe Medical Center, a certified Advanced Primary Stroke Center, with the Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award. The award recognizes Beebe Medical Center’s commitment and success in implementing excellent care for stroke patients, according to evidence-based guidelines. At the same time, The National Stroke Association acknowledged Beebe Medical Center’s commitment to stroke care.
In December 2011, The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons again granted a Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation to the Tunnell Cancer Center at Beebe Medical Center. It was the third time that Tunnell Cancer Center gained the coveted Commendation designation as part of the Certificate of Accreditation, although Tunnell Cancer Center has consistently received accreditation from the Commission on Cancer. According to the Commission, accreditation is given only to those facilities that have voluntarily committed to providing the highest level of quality cancer care and that agree to undergo a rigorous performance evaluation. For more information, please visit beebemed.org
Beebe Medical Center is a not-for-profit community medical center with a charitable mission to encourage healthy living, prevent illness, and restore optimal health with the people residing, working, or visiting in the communities we serve. For more information, please visit us online at www.beebemed.org